Welcome to the first ever Pass the Baton book study! We are excited to read and discuss the book alongside you.
Most of the book study will take place asynchronously through Flipgrid. Each week we will post discussion prompts related to the scheduled chapters. We encourage you to respond to each prompt, watch other videos, and continue the conversation! We can learn so much from each other.
Schedule & Discussion Prompts
Join the discussion on Flipgrid: https://flipgrid.com/passthebaton2021
Week 1: February 1-7 Foreword, Introduction, and Chapters 1-3
- What are your goals for your students? What do you want them to gain from their time with you? What do you want them to remember and take away?
- Where do you see your classroom right now? Is the focus on compliance, engagement, or empowerment?
- How does Dan Pink’s theory about autonomy, mastery, and purpose resonate with you?
Week 2 February 8-14 Chapters 4-6
This week we read about voice, choice and creating. What does this look like in your classroom in 2021? What have you tried? What would you like to try? How are you using voice, choice, and creating to empower your learners?
Week 3 February 15-21 Chapters 7-9
This week we read about asking questions, connecting students, and taking ownership of the process. What does this look like in your classroom in 2021? What have you tried? What would you like to try? How are you using questions, connections, and ownership to empower your learners?
Week 4 February 22-28 Chapters 10-13
- If you direct an ensemble, how can you empower the students in your group? What have you tried, or what is something you plan to try?
- In 2020 many teachers were forced into using technology whether they were ready or not! What are some ways you have used tech this year to empower your music students? What new things are you looking forward to trying?
- Chapter 12 talks about the empowered music educator. In what ways do you share your voice, make choices, create, ask your own questions, connect with other educators, and own your learning?
- After finishing this book, what final thoughts do you have? How will YOU pass the baton this year?
Music Ed Sunday Share – February 28th
Sunday, February 28th join us for a Music Ed Sunday Share at 1:00pm EST. We’ll be exploring the new immersive video tool, Kumospace, and chatting about all things music education! To learn more about Kumospace check out this video: Check out Kumospace. To join us on Sunday, use this link: https://www.kumospace.com/musicaltheresa
Note: You will need to sign in with an email address. Kumospace works best using the Chrome browser on a computer.
Twitter Chat – March 3rd
Join us on March 3rd at 8:00pm EST to wrap up the discussion with a Twitter chat! The chat will use the hashtag #PasstheBatonBook. Don’t worry if you can’t chat during that time, feel free to respond afterwards to continue the conversation. If you’ve never participated in a Twitter Chat, this is a great resource: Twitter Chat Basics.
Purchase the Book
Still need to get a copy of Pass the Baton: Empowering All Music Students? Not to worry! The book is available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble, in both print and digital formats. Check out this link for purchase options and to get a free preview: Pass the Baton.
Please share on social media that you are participating in the Pass the Baton book study! It would be great to add even more voices to the conversation. Inspire others to join using the hashtag #PasstheBatonBook.