Giving the students the opportunity to create in the music room is an important part of their empowerment journey! With a Makerspace Challenge, students can apply what they have learned about instruments and sound to create something new.
A few tips for a Makerspace activity
- Collect materials in advance or ask students to bring their own. Be creative! Think about recyclables, craft supplies, and other small household items.
- Have a learning goal in mind. Do you want students to demonstrate they understand sound properties? Or instrument families?
- Be sure to include planning time, for students to think through their creation.
- Consider adding limits – a limited amount of time or a limited number of different supplies they can use.
- Remember that not every creation will be “successful” – and that’s okay! It’s all part of the process.
Ready to try it? Get the Makerspace Challenge here:
Interested in learning more about empowering the students in your music classroom? Check out Pass the Baton: Empowering All Music Students by Kathryn Finch and Theresa Hoover!